Media statement by M.Kula Segaran in Ipoh on Tuesday, 22nd March 2011:
The Interlok controversy has dragged on long enough. It's time that Palanivel should tell Tan Sri Muhyiddin what the Indian community is saying, that is, "enough is enough"
According to today's report in The Star, the three Indian members who quit the Interlok book review panel are staying firm in their decision and are not interested in being coaxed back into the committee.
In a joint statement yesterday, the three - Dr N. S. Rajendran, G. Krishnabahawan and Uthaya Sankar SB said: "We were forced to withdraw because several members of the panel had betrayed us." "They were insistent on amending only the pariah word and rejecting other changes that had been agreed to at the March 4 meeting."
The three said they were firm on the decision to withdraw. I commend the three for staying firm with their decision to withdraw from the review panel as that was the only and right decision they could take after having been betrayed.
I had said last month that I had no confidence that a satisfactory solution could be produced by the panel. Time has proven that I was right.
Instead of playing the role of persuading the three panelists to rejoin the panel, MIC president Datuk G Palanivel should declare support for their decision to withdraw from the panel.
In fact, Palanivel should have the courage to do what is right - to tell the Education Minister that the only practical and acceptable solution is to withdraw the Interlok novel as a school text book.
The Interlok controversy has dragged on long enough. It is time that Palanivel should tell Tan Sri Muhyiddin what the Indian community is saying, that is, "enough is enough".
If Palanivel is not willing or is not bold enough to send the message, then come next general election, the Indian voters will and must tell the BN government that "enough is enough" through their votes.
* M. Kula Segaran, DAP National Vice Chairman & MP for Ipoh Barat