When launching the Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) in April last year, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib had said, among steps to be taken to ensure peace along Sabah’s coastline, there would be effective coastal surveillance 24-hours a day.
After the murder and abduction of a Taiwanese tourist and his wife at Pom Pom Island on November15 last year, Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar immediately assured that the police and armed forces would enhance security measures in Semporna, where the incident occurred, and all of eastern Sabah.
In October last year, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Shahidan Kassim also told the Parliament that millions of ringgit had been allocated for Esscom.
In spite of all the assurances and allocations, a Chinese tourist and a hotel worker were abducted by gunmen from a holiday resort in Semporna on Wednesday.
This latest incident has not only shocked the nation, it will surely further tarnish Malaysia’s international image.
Malaysia’s tourism industry which has been hit by the MH 370 plane incident will be further affected.
The time has come for tough actions and heads must roll following this latest security breach.
Datuk Shahidan had then also told Parliament, “We are increasing security personnel effective next year, as well as (undertaking) radar monitoring, but these things are not by way of Aladdin’s magic lamp and need time for planning ….’.
It has been 12 months since the Prime Minister launched Esscom, a lot should have been done to make Sabahans feel safe and these efforts don’t require Aladdin’s magic lamp.
Malaysians have a right to know why despite all the assurances and allocations, serious weaknesses still exist in Esscom?